Re: SD5 - Namespaces [fmt]

> From: Jean Paoli <jeanpa@microsoft.com>
>
> Consumers of a document may need to verify that it uses a known
> namespace....
> Proposal: Every element comes from some schema, which becomes the
> default schema for that element. The names within the default schema
> are ...

The demand for namespace machinery is sudden but, it seems, overwhelming.
The demand can't be ignored.  Once again, it should go in a separate
volume in the lang/link/display series.  Once again, it should be done
in an 8879-compatible way.  Once again, it can't be done properly by
July 1.

One detail point.  Using the dot '.' to separate schema & name may
have a nice O-O feel but lots of element types already have dots in
them.  We should change XML-lang to add ':' or some other handy
character to the name repertoire,  but forbid its use except for
this purpose.  Then people can use any legal XML name for their
schematized element types. -T.