Re: PC Magazine, John Dvorak - depressing reading

Digitome Ltd wrote:

> >From PC Magazine, June 1997, UK Version:-
>
> John C. Dvorak
>
> [Start of extract]
>
> There's a new alternative to HTML for web page creation - XML (Extensible
> Markup Language(,
> Much of the idea comes from Microsoft, but its supported by Adobe, Sun
> Microsystems,
> Novell, Hewlett Packard, NCSA and others. Actually, everyone except Netscape.

So the wizard of wonk is telling us he never bothers to read.  Typical.

> Supposedly it creates 'richer' content than we already have. What this means
> is a mystery.

No doubt.  It means richer than a sound byte on C-NET central.

> [Disparaging stuff about Microsoft's web site deleted].
>
> So we go from the pathetic Microsoft Web site to this XML deal. If anyone
> has a theory
> about this please let me know.

He could take the time to study and do his homework but I'm sure
he has better things to do like learn to fling CDs further.

> My thinking is that it is part of a long term
> strategy to keep the average Joe - who can learn HTML in an hour - off the
> Web.

So another conspiracy theory is proposed and the Web + Mindless Media
gets a little more audience share.

> What
> will become of the world if everyone is allowed to be a publisher.

What has already happened.  Now the rest of us have to get on with
information engineering disciplines.

Give it the Tallulah spin: "I don't care what they write, Dahling, as
long as they spell my name right."

len