Re: PC Magazine, John Dvorak - depressing reading

Jon Bosak wrote:

> [Alex Milowski:]
>
> | Hmmm, I hope this isn't a common misconception.  I am over-joyed
> | (really, I am) that Microsoft has embraced XML, but the idea comes
> | from the people on the ERB and this XML development list.  Microsoft
> | knows this.  We know this.  How about the rest of the world?
>

> This perception is unfortunate for all of us (including Microsoft,
> actually) but hardly unexpected; I've been predicting it in internal
> reports for several months now.  I don't think that it gets better
> until real XML support starts coming from several other directions and
> it becomes obvious even to people at Dvorak's level that this is not
> just a Microsoft initiative.  I think that individual implementations
> like Peter Murray-Rust's magnificent effort can play a large role in
> bringing about this change in perception.
>
> Jon

They are looking for audience share.  That is their business.  The
quality
of a product does not get that; controversy does.  That is why they
play the game of "let's you and him fight".    To some extent, that
IS what is going on here.  These companies ARE competing.

It is capitalism at work; revel in it.

Other companies are building XML products as well.  The perception is
that none count but Microsoft and Netscape and that Netscape
(which has lost two thirds of its initial stock value) is losing.  The
prick being used here is one that was promulgated by the original
HTML/Web zealots and that is, "it is a holy cause for the people".
The press is slow to understand that XML is a business language
not a "people's publishing" language.

Don't fear the reaper.  This controversy causes people to look
to find out what the hubbub is about.  Nothing attracts audiences
like flame wars (witness the wrestling federation).  So, enjoy this,
continue to issue the facts, and above all, continue cooperating.

The more you help each other, the faster you succeed.

len