Re: The external text entity problem

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:23:22 -0500
To: tbray@textuality.com
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
>>The only way to avoid this required access and parsing is to use an entity
>>attribute.
>
>Hence the [entirely valid] concern on the WG & ERB about the use
>of external text entities in XML.  They are highly useful for authoring,
>but given the requirements of 8879, if we include them we are in danger of
>requiring that, to be "XML compliant", any browser, no matter how lightweight,
>be required to pull in & interpolate text entities from all over creation.

Can someone please prove that this is so? The distinction between an
"SGML comformant parser" and an "XML parser" might be a good one to
make. For the sake of argument, let's say we have an XML parser that
parses entity references. Can anyone show me a case where it is
absolutely necessary to resolve the entity before parsing can
continue (especially considering that replacement text would become
psuedo-elements and thereby not affect the structure much at all).