Re: The external text entity problem

From: Bill Smith <bill.smith@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:00:23 -0800 (PST)
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Gavin Nicol wrote:

> Can someone please prove that this is so? The distinction between an
> "SGML comformant parser" and an "XML parser" might be a good one to
> make. For the sake of argument, let's say we have an XML parser that
> parses entity references. Can anyone show me a case where it is
> absolutely necessary to resolve the entity before parsing can
> continue (especially considering that replacement text would become
> psuedo-elements and thereby not affect the structure much at all).

The case I have in mind is one, for a valid XML document, where an external text
entity contains markup that would change the content model of the document
instance based on parse-time inclusion versus use-time inclusion. I'm not a
parser expert but suspect that we may have a problem with delayed parsing of
external text entities in valid XML even if we preclude asynchronous entities.