Re: xml:lang and XML infoset: two new datatypes

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 10:15, Sergey Melnik wrote:

> I'm suggesting to treat strings with xml:lang specifiers as a new
> datatype (call it "language-tagged string"), disjoint with xsd:string.
> Similarly, XML infosets should simply be yet another datatype, disjoint
> with any other XSD datatype.
>
> These two datatypes were essentially defined as such in the original RDF
> spec. Now that we have a general-purpose datatyping mechanism, we can
> make use of it. The two datatypes should get their own URIs.
>
> If there is enough support for that, I'd like to put the above point for
> vote at the next telecon.

Er... as far as making group decisions, we're supposedly done.
We've disposed of all our issues.
I'd really rather not put new issues in the ciritcal path.

Maybe you can just work with the editors to make this a
natural consequence of the decisions we made on datatyping;
it seems reasonably consistent with what we discussed.

i.e. in stead of suggesting this for the WG agenda, I suggest
you just take it straight to the editors.

> The current proposal

which proposal is that, exactly? I gather the status quo
(i.e. what exactly the WG has decided)
is rather sparsely documented (e.g. the whole discussion
of tidy/untidy options was reduced to pretty much one bit
in today's telcon record), and the editors have actions
to figure out all the details.

[[
ACTION: 2002-09-13#2 Graham to update concepts doc to cover 1.1, 1.2,
2.2,
2.3 to reflect datatype concensus

ACTION: 2002-09-13#3 Danbri to update schema to cover 2.1, 3.1, 3.2, 5
reflect datatype concensus

ACTION: 2002-09-13#4 PatH to update model theory to cover 4 to reflect
datatype concensus

ACTION: 2002-09-13#5 FrankM to update primer to reflect datatype
concensus

ACTION: 2002-09-13#6 Jan to create testcase to reflect datatype
concensus
]]
 -- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Sep/0178.html