Re: Draft datatypes message

At 14:32 23/06/2002 +0300, Patrick Stickler wrote:

[...]

> >  <Jenny> <age>          _:a .
> >  _:a     <xsdr:decimal> "10" .
>
>What is this 'xsdr:'? This should be 'xsd:decimal'.

Have we decided that we can use the standard xsd URI's for our datatype
properties and classes?  Do they denote the same thing?  I didn't think we
had so left the option open.  Maybe I'm being too pernickity.

[...]

>Test A can be considered true regardless whether the objects are taken
>to be strings or values.

I'm not convinced that's true, but I'll deal with that in a separate post.

[...]

>You could add:
>
>And no datatype value is provided to any RDF application, only the
>string, and it is not specified at the RDF level what is meant by
>the string "10" -- i.e. whether Jenny's age actually is the number 10
>or (oddly but possibly) the string "10".

      ^^^^^
I'm trying to avoid advocacy here, but to ask the questions in an unbiased way.

[...]

>Note that the use of rdfs:range in this fashion follows from normal
>usage of RDF Schema semantics. I.e. this approach does not constitute
>an extension to RDF or RDF Schema in order to provide for global
>datatyping constraints.

I don't see that helps clarify the question.

[...]

>You might better make the choice between C and D, as their distinction
>is IMO clearer.

I prefer B to C.

[...]

>And the deadline for replies?