Re: Datatyping: revised draft

At 12:02 PM 1/30/02 -0800, Sergey Melnik wrote:
>Graham,
>
>could you share your idea briefly? I'm curious!

OK, the P idiom is this:

   Jenny exP:birthDate _:a .
   _:a rdf:value "2001-07-15" .
   _:a rdf:type exP:date .

or, for a global typing idiom, instead of the final triple, use:

   exP:birthDate rdfs:range exP:date .

You suggest that exP:date is the same as xsd:date.map;  i.e. it denotes the
data type mapping, whose class extension is a set of <value,lexical>
pairs.  The denotation of _:a is then a <value,lexical> pair, and the
property rdf:value then is used like a "selector", in that it relates a
member of its subject pair to a lexical that is its object; it's relational
extension would contain:  < <15 July 2001,"2001-07-15">, "2001-07-15" >.

My thought was that exP:date here could be the same as xsd:date.lex, and
rdf:value was an identity relation, so the denotation of _:a would be just
a lexical.  The relational extension of rdf:value would contain
<"2001-07-15","2001-07-15">.

That's it.