RE: Datatyping Summary

Jeremy, as far as I can tell, you are proposing:

(a) start with datatyping scheme S, complete with its model theory
(significantly, a literal denotes exactly the corresponding string).
(b) avoid subgraphs of the form <a> <foo> "ss" . by preprocessing them into
     <a> <foo> _:b . _:b rdf:value "ss" .

I think this does address the self-entailment problem.

But I think that adding the requirement for graph transformation will be a
different kind of show stopper, in that lots of deployed software will see
<a> <foo> "ss" . and generate a graph containing exactly one arc.

I'm puzzled by this:

> >From an implementators point of view, it is clearly easier to implement the
>syntactic transformation and S-P, than to implement S-A, S-B and S-P.

I don't think an RDF implementation has to do anything special to process
S-A, S-B and S-P that isn't standard RDF handling.  Without any extension
to core RDF, I could define a vocabulary+interpretation that models these
idioms, giving them their intended interpretation, so what's special here
for the RDF processor?

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
        __
       /\ \