Re: Datatyping differences

On 2002-01-25 19:22, "ext Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

> What's necessarily
> the case is that in S, "30" denotes the same thing in all
> interpretaions, but in TDL it doesn't.

But how do you know? If you don't define the datatype,
or if your knowledge migrates out of the circle of your
control?

What if I need "30" to mean something else? What if it is
supposed to be a monthDay? How about a human age in years?
What if it is a magnitude of kilograms?

And how could one assign some other interpretation either
in S or TDL if "30" always denotes the same thing?

I think that your argument has nothing to do with any
limitation of TDL. I think you will encounter the
same problems with S as well if you leave datatyping
knowledge implicit in your application and yet expect
your data values to be portable to other application
spaces with the same interpretation.