Re: TDL is compatible with tidy literals, even if current TDL MT is not (which should be fixed)

On 2002-01-28 12:13, "ext Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> Hmmm ...
>
> As I understand Patrick's position:
>

> There is an abstract layer over a tidy graph in which the TDL for one use of
> a literal node is distinct from the TDL for a second use.
>
> This abstract layer seems to be a datatyping layer between the graph and the
> model theory.
>
> I did consider this approach to doing the mathematics for TDL and couldn't
> get it to work, with all respect, Patrick has not shown to my satisfaction
> how it would work.
>
> Let's suppose that it could be made to work.
>
> I think an Occam's razor argument would favour a two layer approach over a
> three layer approach.

It would, *if* all things are otherwise equal. Occam's razor does
not say that simpler is always right if the simpler approach does
not provide a complete solution/explanation.

It appears to me that whether we have a two layer or three layer
approach depends directly on whether we have tidy or untidy
literals.

If literals remain untidy, then each literal node can be
interpreted as an actual lexical form (member of the lexical
space of a datatype) and that works. If, however, literals
are tidy, then literals can only be strings, and their
interpretation as a lexical form of some datatype must
happen somewhere at a higher level.

Finally, I'm not clear how the latter case constitutes
three levels, as if that interpretation is expressed in
MT, you just have the two levels, graph and MT. Right?
So how is it a level "between" the graph and MT?

Regards,

Patrick