Re: rdfms-not-id-and-resource-attr

I think I agree with all Jeremy is saying here.  In particular:

>I find two possibilities acceptable:
>+ dropping reification in its entirity
>+ having a plausible syntax for reification

I'm unsure which way I actually prefer at this point.

[...]

Where a "plausible syntax might be:

>I propose that we
>+  decide that rdf:ID on property elements productions uniformly
>    signals reification
>+  action the syntax WD editor to make the necessary changes

..

On reflection, maybe there is a third possible way?  A syntactic variation
of reification (e.g. rdf:reifyAs='...') that:
(a) does not add the statement triple to the graph, but
(b) adds the reification quad describing the statement to the graph, using
the given identifier to label the statement node.

I think this achieves a key goal of reification, namely use without
assertion, without being forced to code all the reification quads.

As this is out of scope for our current charter, it suggests to me that
reification by rdf:ID be dropped for now, and (if desired) reconsidered for
a future revision of the specification.  However, I think it is still worth
defining the reification vocabulary, without special semantics, so there is
some common basis for experimentation and future development.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
        __
       /\ \
      /  \ \