Datatyping and idioms

I'm a little concerned that the specific idioms may have taken on the
status of proposals.

In my mind, the idioms were ways of _testing_ the various datatyping
proposals, with some claim that they (or something like them) were actually
being used.

Ultimately, the proposals are along the lines of "a literal denotes ..." or
"a statement or collection of statements using literals means ...",
expressed in terms of a formal semantics.  The available idioms flow from
that.   (And in the process of assembling the proposals we may or may not
find the role of properties like rdf:value -- I think that's secondary to
this particular debate.)

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>