Primer status and Re: RDFCore WG minutes for the Telecon 2002-02-01

jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com wrote:

> RDFCore WG minutes for the Telecon 2002-02-01

snip

> 10: Status of Primer
>     | -- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Jan/0300.html
>
>     FrankM seemed to have some trouble with the fact that not all pages
>       in http://www.w3.org/2001/09/rdfprimer/ are public

A small correction/clarification:

A new draft of the primer, as described in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Jan/0300.html
, has been placed on http://www.w3.org/2001/09/rdfprimer/.  However, the
files comprising the draft are for some reason not publically accessible
[I can't read them either!]

The rest of this is not minutes correction, just FYI

> DanC said (via IRC): frank, you can chacl stuff that you put there.

I apparently am not on the right ACL list to be able to do that (tried
identifying myself several different ways).

>     FrankM talked about how to deal with open issues, but
>     DanC: please, no! no model theory nor datatypes gunk in the primer.

For the record, I'll repeat (sort of) what I said on the telecon:  my
current belief is that the primer should try to introduce all the major
documents produced by the WG, at least to the extent of explaining why
they're there.  In the case of the model theory, I don't see the primer
giving a tutorial on the RDF model theory, but I think the primer should
briefly describe why there is one (and give the reader some feel for
whether it's important for s/he to fully understand the document, or
whether s/he can give it a miss). In the case of data typing, the amount
of introduction needed in the primer will depend on how much of a
reader-friendly introduction is provided in the data typing
specification itself.

I don't have a problem with the primer being very simple and sparse, as
long as our other documents provide reader-friendly introductions to
their respective topics, or we contemplate still-other documents to
provide that material.  However, at the moment the primer seems to me to
be the default "home" for that sort of material.  Another "division of
labor" might be OK too, provided all the subjects get covered.

>     FrankM is mainly seeking feedback (volunteers)

But obviously not until the files are accessible!

>     ACTION DanBri to make everything in primer directory public

DanBri and Eric have both made attempts.  We're working on it.

--Frank