Re: 2001-09-07#5 Literals

>Bill & I:
>>  [8]
>[...snip...]
>>  RDF processors SHOULD deal with equality and normalisation
>>  of Literals only, and SHOULD NOT be expected to make or find such
>>  equivalences.
>

>Aaron wrote:
>>  seems like it applies more to RDF parser than RDF processors.
>
>No, it is more than the parser.
>*normalization* is the job of the parser.
>This is true whatever the input syntax, e.g. if the input document is
>not in a UCS-based encoding, then unicode NFC should be applied.
>
>*equality* is the job of the implementation of "=" which typically is
>not in the parser, since the parser does not care about equality.

Depends. Equality of what? Equality of lexical items *is* the
business of the parser (actually of the lexicalizer, if that
terminology is acceptable here). So this depends, seems to me, on
whether or not literals are considered to be lexical/syntactic
thingies, or only semantic thingies. In the MT I assumed they were
syntactic, and left open the issue of what they denote (could be
themselves, of course).

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes