Re: PRIMER: v 0.1 of scope, outline and issues (lighten up!)

At 09:42 AM 9/26/01 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>I agree, lets avoid abstractions as far as possible at the beginning of
>everything. Start with an example, would be better, as a way to introduce
>the points being made. Can we cook up a simple, artificial but convincing
>example/case study to use to illustrate the main points? It ought to show
>RDF doing more than XML would do :-)

I think that would have to be at least two examples.

It is my view that the value of RDF is that it allows data/information to
be shared between applications, and ultimately for some kinds of processing
to be handled by generic software systems.

So, I think the value to be demonstrated is when a new application is
introduced that relevant data created by existing applications is
accessible to the new application, and vice  versa.

TimBL once gave an example of an invoice for aircraft parts;  some elements
would be details of commercial transactions, generated by a sales/order
processing system, while others would be related to the technical bill of
materials for an aircraft, generated by engineering CAD software.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>