Subject:    Without breaking   (formerly: The real crux... )
Author: "Bugbee  Larry" <Larry.Bugbee@PSS.Boeing.com>
Date:       12/6/99 5:38 PM

Please see below...

> ----------

    ...(the ability to
> move a document internal to/from external and external to external without
> breaking the signature).  Actually, this sounds like it should have been a
basic
> requirement, not just for me but for the generic world of applications.

I agree.  Have we missed something or have I missed something?  ;-)  Here's our
situation.

We will likely have signed documents where the content and the signature reside
in the same file, initially.  Later, we may want to store the documents in a
bulk archive (some of these files are HUGE), and keep only a striped down
"shell" in a secure repository for long-term storage (life of the airplane = 40+
years).  This "shell" might contain only a reference to the file in bulk storage
and the original signature.  (The need for a manifest may not be apparent at the
time the original document is signed.)

How?  I'm not sure, but for us it will be a requirement that the signature not
break just because we chose to later separate (or reassemble) the document
content and its signature.

Thots?

Larry Bugbee, Digital Signatures, Boeing