Re: Latest draft and Schema / DTD

At 00:37 99/11/12 -0500, Donald E. Eastlake 3rd wrote:
 >I didn't understand that you were going to totally banish DTDs.
 >
 >As far as I know, there are essentially no tools that process the
 >current W3C Schema draft.  I think that DTDs will be the dominant
 >description of XML for validation, etc., for at least a year to 18
 >months and will continue to be very useful for at least five to ten
 >years.  Under these circumstances dropping DTDs entirely from the
 >draft greatly reduces its value is a real dis-service to the
 >community.

DTDs simply do not permit us to do what we would like to do [1], and our XML
will be used in many circumstances that will not XML validate anyway. In the
XML context TimBL has suggested that this activity among others use schemas
[2].

I'd ask that we keep the schema declarations I've used in the draft we are
working on until we post it early next week and the WG can discuss it.

[1] http://xml.com/pub/1999/07/schemas/dtds.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/1999OctDec/0023.html