Re: Comments on core-991001

From:  "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
To:  "W3c-Ietf-Xmldsig (E-mail)" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
Date:  Wed, 06 Oct 1999 00:37:57 -0400

>Thanks for the comments, see a few responses below...
>
>From:  "Jim Schaad (Exchange)" <jimsch@EXCHANGE.MICROSOFT.com>
>To:  "W3c-Ietf-Xmldsig (E-mail)" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
>Date:  Tue, 5 Oct 1999 14:34:32 -0700
>
>>The following is a set of comments dealing with small changes that need to
>>be made to the current draft.  Comments on actual content such as XML
>>syntax, etc. will follow as appropriate.
>>
>>1.  All IETF drafts now require a patent statement a the top of the draft.
>>Such as statement should be added to the document.
>
>When/where was this requirement added?  None of my drafts have such a
>statement.  Perhaps you mean copyright?  I think the IESG is very
>close to requiring the ISOC copyright on all standards track drafts
>but, as far as I know, they have not actually done so yet...

Based on further thought, I believe this was a reference to the
standard boilerplate that says the draft conforms to RFC 2026.  I was
confused because, while patents are certainly an important area of RFC
2026, the boilerplate you include at the start of a draft does not
mention the word patent and I've never heard it referred to before as
a "patent statement".

Participants in this working group are reminded that 'Working group
members must disclose intellectual properties "that are reasonably and
personally known" to be relevant to this WG in accordance with IETF
and W3C procedure; including notice and disclosure of such information
to the WG, and the IETF Executive Director.' (from the IETF XMLDSIG
charter).

>>Jim Schaad and Barbara Fox
>>Microsoft
>>	-