RE: [apps-discuss] Fwd: FW: New Version Notification for draft-kerwin-file-scheme-13.txt

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 22:57:17 +0000
To: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>
CC: Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au>, IETF Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, "uri@w3.org" <uri@w3.org>
> Anyways, in general normalizing to NFC does less damage than any other
> normalization, and not normalizing can cause weird things, but then, so can
> normalizing.

Yes, I completely agree that NFC is the right choice and does the least harm. For wire-format exchange the ideal would be for NFC to be the rule.

file:// is a little different, since it is mainly trying to represent the characters/byte codes the file system is using while still trying to be recognizable to the user.  Maybe it doesn't matter, though: most user-agents provide a dialog box, auto-complete, or some other mechanism. Perhaps the rule is "NFC for the URI, file system/user agent provides re-normalization or normalization-independent selection for file systems that use a different normalization form, de-normalized files use escapes (== don't do that)"?

Addison