Re: [apps-discuss] Fwd: FW: New Version Notification for draft-kerwin-file-scheme-13.txt

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 10:57:17PM +0000, Phillips, Addison wrote:
> Yes, I completely agree that NFC is the right choice and does the
> least harm. For wire-format exchange the ideal would be for NFC to be
> the rule.
>
> file:// is a little different, since it is mainly trying to represent

It may not be for a wire-format, but it exists nonetheless to
interoperate, even if locally-only, between different apps, possibly
portable apps.  Therefore the issue comes up.

> the characters/byte codes the file system is using while still trying
> to be recognizable to the user.  Maybe it doesn't matter, though: most

Even on a typical Unix system that doesn't help: the filesystem
typically treats filenames as octet strings not including '/'.

> user-agents provide a dialog box, auto-complete, or some other
> mechanism. Perhaps the rule is "NFC for the URI, file system/user
> agent provides re-normalization or normalization-independent selection
> for file systems that use a different normalization form,
> de-normalized files use escapes (== don't do that)"?

This comes up in many places (NFSv4, WebDAV, ...).

Nico