Re: [apps-discuss] Fwd: FW: New Version Notification for draft-kerwin-file-scheme-13.txt

From: Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 08:59:35 +1000
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>
Cc: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>, IETF Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, "uri@w3.org" <uri@w3.org>
On 10 December 2014 at 08:37, Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com> wrote:

> Although normalization is often a good idea... normalization might be a
> problem if the local filesystem allows normalized and non-normalized
> representations both to appear. You wouldn't be able to specify a
> non-normalized representation.

Do you have an example? I'm trying to think it through, but I keep going in
circles. The one I think of is ext[2-4] where the filesystem stores octet
sequences, and shell/applications/etc. use things like the user's locale
environment when representing those octets as text strings. Are you saying
that if we mandate NFC normalisation of URIs, you can't distinguish between
a files whose filename octets are {0xE4} vs {0xC3, 0xA4} (i.e. U+00E4 "รค"
in WIndows-1252 / UTF-8)?

Wouldn't "file://%E4" would cover that?

--
  Matthew Kerwin