Re: [apps-discuss] Fwd: FW: New Version Notification for draft-kerwin-file-scheme-13.txt

From: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 16:42:12 -0600
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>
Cc: Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au>, IETF Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>, "uri@w3.org" <uri@w3.org>
On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 10:37:19PM +0000, Phillips, Addison wrote:
> Although normalization is often a good idea... normalization might be
> a problem if the local filesystem allows normalized and non-normalized
> representations both to appear. You wouldn't be able to specify a
> non-normalized representation.

At least for Latin scripts most input methods produce NFC-ish output.
This is true even on OS X even though its own HFS+ decomposes file/
directory names (!).  What can I say other than "add that to the pile of
mistakes we need a time machine to correct"?

Anyways, in general normalizing to NFC does less damage than any other
normalization, and not normalizing can cause weird things, but then, so
can normalizing.

My preference (for those who don't already know) is for all [new]
filesystems to do normalization-insensitive matching, as that's the
least problematic option.  But this isn't going to happen anytime soon,
apps can't tell if the filesystem is going to do this, and so on and so
forth.

Nico