Re: [whatwg] New URL Standard from Anne van Kesteren on 2012-09-24 (public-whatwg-archive@w3.org from September 2012)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 01:02:02 +0000 (UTC)
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Jan Algermissen <jan.algermissen@nordsc.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, URI <uri@w3.org>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
On Mon, 22 Oct 2012, Tim Bray wrote:

> One more data point... I work on Web software all the time and have for
> many years; in recent years mostly at the REST (app-to-app HTTP
> conversations) rather than browser-wrangling level.  Iíd have to say
> that URI interoperability problems havenít come near getting into the
> list of top-20 pain points.  So either my experience is wildly
> untypical, or maybe itís a combination of being a little bit lucky, and
> that the pain which exists is highly concentrated in the browser space.

The importance of error handling goes up dramatically as the number of
participants in a space increases. When one is writing private software
where you write the server and the client, one is unlikely to run into any
problems that one would attribute to the specs. When one is writing
software with a few hundred participants, these kinds of errors occur, but
it's trivial to deal with them by telling the offending people to follow
the spec. When one is dealing with trillions of items, it becomes
impossible to fix the problems, and error-handling becomes necessary.

The Web is a classic example of the latter, so browser vendors and authors
of software that interacts with the Web, e.g. Web search engine software
(GoogleBot), Web mirroring software (wget), etc, often run into it.