Re: [whatwg] New URL Standard from Anne van Kesteren on 2012-09-24 (public-whatwg-archive@w3.org from September 2012)

<snip>
I’d have to say that URI interoperability problems haven’t come near
getting into the list of top-20 pain points.
</snip>
I can't recall the last time i experienced "URI interoperability problems"
across various user agents/implementations on the public Internet. My
problems w/ browser implementations is another thing.

In this particular case (URIs), I applaud Anne's attempt to fix the broken
way browsers handle these strings within their own executable code (i.e
"browsers (apart from Chrome) do not unescape URL escapes."[1]).

However, I find the announcement that he plans to change the names of
things along the way (i.e. "And yes, the plan is to do away with IRI/URI
and just call them all URLs"[1]) a waste of time.

Fixing the code can happen regardless of naming. Do that and do it now.

Thanks.

[1] http://annevankesteren.nl/2012/09/url-equivalence

mca+1.859.757.1449
skype: mca.amundsen