Re: [whatwg] New URL Standard from Anne van Kesteren on 2012-09-24 (public-whatwg-archive@w3.org from September 2012)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 08:26:55 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, Jan Algermissen <jan.algermissen@nordsc.com>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, URI <uri@w3.org>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
On 2012-10-23 02:05, Ian Hickson wrote:
> I suspect it will break nothing, but I guess we'll find out.
>
> I don't really understand how it _could_ break anything, so long as the
> processing of IRI and URIs as defined by IETF is the same in the WHATWG
> spec, except where software already differs with the IETF specs.

Define "software". *All* software? How do you test that?

> Do you have a concrete example I could study?

Do you?

This brings me back to something I've been asking for many times: a
*concrete* list of things that are "broken" in RFC 3986 (as opposed to
be "undefined").

Best regards, Julian