Re: draft-06 plus last last-call changes

Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> and a paragraph to the sections on scheme and absolute-URI to
> indicate that scheme specifications must define a syntax that
> is a subset of absolute-URI and thus don't have to redefine
> fragment for every scheme spec
>
> <http://gbiv.com/protocols/uri/rev-2002/rfc2396bis.html#absolute-uri>.

I think that between this and the final paragraph of section 3.1 (which I was
overlooking), the question in my last email -- about what leeway a scheme has
in overriding the generic syntax, what jurisdiction it has over URIs not
conforming to its restrictions, and what should be done with such URIs -- has
been adequately addressed.

In both places, by "subset", I assume you mean that the scheme can define any
syntax (not necessarily in terms of rfc2396bis rules) such that a URI
conforming to that syntax would not fail to also conform to the absolute-URI
syntax rule. I kinda wish it were stated more like that, but I suppose it's
good enough as "subset".

Anyway, given this bit, and the advice in sec. 3.1, I feel the RFC 1738 scheme
definition replacement specs should all be quite clear about whether and how
to interpret a URI that has extraneous components or that otherwise does not
conform to the scheme's specific syntax.

-Mike