Re: Summary, URIREV04 BOF, 8/6/2004 9-11:30am

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:38:06 -0700
To: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>, Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>, "'Scott Hollenbeck'" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Cc: uri@w3.org

At 8:05 PM -0700 8/8/04, Larry Masinter wrote:
>* Revising RFC 2717 and 2718
>   Tony Hansen and Ted Hardie will create a new document which
>   replaces these, but with the idea that non-standards-track
>   scheme registration will be much easier, with the main purpose
>   to avoid duplicates.

There was a fair amount of disagreement about that last clause. A few
of us (at least Leslie Daigle and I) thought that allowing duplicates
but documenting the registrants of each would cause less problems for
the registry, and still allow legit developers to pick a good new
name, than trying to come up with a single-entry system.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium