schemes like 'file' changing resolution rules

From: by way of Martin Duerst <mike@skew.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:35:25 -0400
To: uri@w3.org

Hello again,

This is in reference to http://gbiv.com/protocols/uri/rev-2002/issues.html

The "file" URI scheme, as we all probably know, is horribly underspec'd.

RFC 1738 says, essentially, that in the "file" scheme, a "host" URL
component that is "localhost" is to be treated as a reference to the
local host, always.  I interpret this to mean that

   file://localhost/

is identical to

   file:///

for purposes of locating the resource, regardless of what DNS says.

I have implemented the URI resolver in 4Suite such that when resolving a
URI reference to absolute form, "file" schemed URIs are treated specially,
with the above in mind. I just ignore the host if it is 'localhost'.

I am wondering if the new URI spec should address this issue when
discussing how to resolve a URI to absolute form. Just perhaps mention
something about certain scheme specs possibly mandating some adjustments
to the generic resolution guidelines.

-Mike