delimiters vs separators

From: by way of Martin Duerst <mike@skew.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:35:15 -0400
To: uri@w3.org

Hello again,

This is in reference to
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/ietf-uri/rev-2002/rfc2396bis.ht
ml?rev=1.64

I was under the impression that the verbs "delimit" and "separate" were
slightly different concepts, but the spec seems to use the terms rather
interchangeably. Delimiters are usually bounding a discrete type of
item on both sides, such as the quotes around attribute values in
HTML/XML, whereas separators are things that are interposed between
items in a series, such as the slashes in a path. I suggest being more
consistent with these terms throughout the spec.

-Mike