Re: telephone URLs, comments on draft-antti-telephony-url-04

Larry Masinter (masinter@parc.xerox.com)
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:59:49 PDT

From: "Larry Masinter" <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
To: "=?iso-8859-1?B?UGF0cmlrIEbkbHRzdHL2bQ==?=" <paf@swip.net>,
Cc: <uri@Bunyip.Com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:59:49 PDT
Subject: RE: telephone URLs, comments on draft-antti-telephony-url-04

> The conclusion from my side is only that I see problems with starting
> beliving that we can do something about the highly unstructured telephone
> number allocation problem on the Internet. We can not, and from my point of
> view, should not. It is better if the URL is "just" phone:number.

Patrik, the Internet Fax group came to a different conclusion, after
consultation
with a number of experts in the telephone industry. There is a single global
telephone number space, whose use is increasing, and which makes a uniform
reference
space, and such numbers belonged in the standard for global access.

From the global phone number perspective, you can treat tel://n1/n2/n3/n4 as if
"//" were an initial "+" and "/" were just a delimiter, but from an
implementation
perspective, the creator of such a URL is asserting a hierarchy.

In Denmark, there would be no hierarchy after the initial
tel://denmark-code/number.
Any kind of area, city or region code would be entirely optional.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter