RE: telephone URLs, comments on draft-antti-telephony-url-04

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrik Fältström [mailto:paf@swip.net]
Sent: Monday, June 29, 1998 12:00 PM
To: Vaha-Sipila Antti (NMP); 'EXT Larry Masinter'
Cc: 'uri@bunyip.com'
Subject: RE: telephone URLs, comments on draft-antti-telephony-url-04

[snip]

>It is also the case that just because you can dial a certain number on your
>phone does not mean that that number is sent over the wire, and neither
>that that number is used between the switches -- just like a URL can be
>viewed in different ways. I just saw a recommendation in one GSM network in
>North America that their users should dial 401-123-1234, i.e. area code
>first without the '1'!

Here in the Seattle/Redmond area, the telco has gone to this sort of model:
if you're dialing within the same NPA (area code), it's a seven-digit
number; if you're dialing within the local area but to a different NPA (for
instance, Redmond to Seattle), it's a ten-digit number; if it's long
distance (in other words, a toll call), prepend the 1.

It's a very recent change, which also makes an important point: things can
rapidly change, even in something as prosaic as POTS.

[snip]

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. - Mark Twain
Ian King, Test Lead <iking@microsoft.com>
Electronic Bill Presentment & Payment
MICROSOFT CORPORATION