Re: Request for feedback about RDF-star

fredag 26. mars 2021 09.24.41 CET skrev Pierre-Antoine Champin:
> The problem is not so much the code base handling the data, it is the
> data itself. Once you have loads of RDF resources on the Web using the
> "old" IRIs, deprecating that IRI essentially breaks these resources. And
> you can not expect everyone to update their content at once.

Sure, but nowadays, that boils down to a single SPARQL query, or a
find . -name '*.ttl' -exec perl -pi 's/rdfstar/rdf/' {} \;
across the file system. ;-)

I think the main question is how far you expect RDF* to proliferate beyond
the WG participants before you get to CR. If you expect wide uptake from
now on, then yes, it would be too much to ask users to consider two
properties as synonyms, or to change data that are in production system
deployed with customers. Indeed, you wouldn't want that to happen.

But if it is mostly WG members who make systems, who is aware of the
possible changes, then I don't see why you would be pushing this without a
clear mandate. This is a group that has to be committed to changing things,
because a standardisation effort is never a rubber-stamp exercise. Only when
there is a Recommendation, participants have a legitimate expectation of
stability. In practice, certain things become de facto standards quicker,
of course, which is really the problem here.

I don't know what kind of traction you have. I was at the Berlin workshop
back in the day, and I think it is a very interesting and worthwhile effort,
but I also know it is hard to get a lot of traction early. I therefore
don't think it is mostly a technical question, it is mostly a technology
dissemination question.

Cheers,

Kjetil