Re: Requirements for a possible "RDF 2.0"

From: Jeremy Carroll <jeremy@topquadrant.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 17:57:40 -0800
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
CC: Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, semantic-web@w3.org
Dan Brickley wrote:

> How far can we go by overloading the existing datatyping mechanism?
> ie. decorate literals with URIs that stand for particular encodings of
> particular units?

I think the answer to this question rests on the meaning of = in
   8km = 5miles

(pretending that the arithmetic is precise and correct)
Conceptually I think we could have units:kilometer being a datatype
whose value space is distances and whose lexical space is the same as
xsd:decimal, and its value space would (modulo rounding) be the same as
units:mile but disjoint from units:squareMeter ...

However I defer to others ...

Jeremy