Re: Requirements for a possible "RDF 2.0"

Thanks for starting this discussion, Chris.

I'm not firmly convinced that a new RDF Working Group would greatly
accelerate adoption of RDF. However, I think a new Working Group could
perform valuable activities for the current Semantic Web community,
which in turn would accelerate creation and deployment of Semantic Web
applications, which in turn would drive increased adoption of these
technologies.

Based on my own experience and what I've heard, here is what I would
hope to see from a new RDF Working Group:

+ Detailed errata maintenance of the existing specs.

+ Deprecate little-used or "buggy" features (reification, bags). This
sends a message to new adopters and educators that these features are
probably not the right way to solve their problems.

+ Specify the semantics of named graphs. To be honest, I've used named
graphs for many years without worrying about their formal semantics, and
I don't know if they have / need to have any formal semantics. Something
in line with how SPARQL views named graphs would be all I'd ask for
here. (Note that the SPARQL WG is looking more at named graphs in the
context of the SPARQL 1.1 Update and the SPARQL 1.1 Uniform HTTP
Protocol for Managing RDF Graphs specifications currently under
development [1],[2].)

+ Create new specifications for Turtle and for TriG. Turtle is widely
supported and is SPARQL-like. (Really, SPARQL is Turtle-like, but from a
specification point of view, I guess it's the other way around.) TriG is
somewhat widely supported and is a natural extension of Turtle to
serialize named graphs. I'd imagine the WG would consider specifying N3
as well, but I'd prefer not to at this point.

+ Create a new RDF primer. This sounds like the job of a more SWEO-like
or SW Best Practices & Deployment group, but there's only so much energy
to go around. The primer would teach RDF thoroughly in terms of Turtle
and TriG syntax.

+ Create a new RDF best practices guide. There are a variety of these
scattered about, but a wiki-based cookbook hosted by the W3C (perhaps as
part of the new SW Wiki) would be welcome. I'd cover topics such as
ordered lists & units of measure here.

The WG should have a strict mandate to be compatible with existing RDF
(modulo errata, of course).

Lee

[1] Editor's draft: http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/update-1.1/

[2] Editor's draft: http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/http-rdf-update/