Re: DNAMES Section4.4.4.htm

On 2007-06-25 23:29:05 +0200, Konrad Lanz wrote:

>> Thinking about this more, I'm inclined to believe that we don't
>> run into that problem -- XML is defined in terms of characters,
>> the grammar is defined in terms of a particular representation
>> of these characters, and if there is no UTF-8 encoded
>> representation of the string that was present in the DNAME,
>> then the dotted-decimal form can be used.

> As far as I know the dotted-decimal form is useful to represent
> the AttributeType by it's OID.

> What is the dotted-decimal form for characters?

RFC 4514, section 2.4:

   If the AttributeType is of the dotted-decimal form, the
   AttributeValue is represented by an number sign ('#' U+0023)
   character followed by the hexadecimal encoding of each of the
   octets of the BER encoding of the X.500 AttributeValue.  This
   form is also used when the syntax of the AttributeValue does not
   have an LDAP- specific ([RFC4517], Section 3.1) string encoding
   defined for it, or the LDAP-specific string encoding is not
   restricted to UTF-8-encoded Unicode characters.  This form may
   also be used in other cases, such as when a reversible string
   representation is desired (see Section 5.2).

Cheers,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>