Re: Possible details of new xml namespace schema handling

"Paul Grosso" <pgrosso@arbortext.com> writes:

> Henry et al.,
>
> When I told the XML CG we were planning to change
> the schema for the XML Namespace, ChrisL made some
> suggestions about dated URLs and the like, to wit:

Consistent with precedent for this namespace, copies of the new schema
document were placed at 2001/xml.xsd and 2004/10/xml.xsd, with the
following comment in both:

    In keeping with the XML Schema WG's standard versioning policy,
    this schema document will persist at
    http://www.w3.org/2004/10/xml.xsd.  At the date of issue it can
    also be found at http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd.  The schema
    document at that URI may however change in the future, in order to
    remain compatible with the latest version of XML Schema itself, or
    with the XML namespace itself.  In other words, if the XML Schema
    or XML namespaces change, the version of this document at
    http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd will change accordingly; the
    version at http://www.w3.org/2004/10/xml.xsd will not change.

Note that the previous iteration of this policy means that there is an
unchanged and unchanging copy of the previous contents of 2001/xml.xsd
at 2001/03/xml.xsd.

ht
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk