Re: Question: User Story -- Bootstrapping Facebook

On 9 February 2011 21:24, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 8 Feb 2011, at 23:29, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>
>> User Story -- Bootstrapping Facebook
>
> ( we should not use existing companies by name in a user story, I think )
> You story below seems to be more a HOWTO than a user story. Where do you want to put this?

Good point.  Let's just have this on email for now.  But I do think
that getting WebID working with facebook would probably be desirable,
if it can be done neatly.

This thread is just exploring that idea.

>> Alice has a Facebook account, http://facebook.com/alice .  She's
>> chosen to have all her information as public.
>
> I wrote up how to enable a Web2.0 app here
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Foaf%2Bssl/HOWTO#HOWTO_foaf.2Bssl_enable_your_Web_2.0_application
>
> It would need updating with graphs added to help explain what the turtle means,
> and with an rdfa version, and rdf/xml ones perhaps... Though we should wait for those until we have the ontology tightened up.
>

>> 1. She wishes to have a WebID,
>>    1.1) what would be the ideal way of generating the RDF she needs
>> for a WebID Profile [1]
>
>    Not sure there is an ideal way. In terms of software one can generate this
> with any tool. One can have an rdf/xml representation of the profile which will probably be much faster to download, or just embed it into the rdfa, which will be slower to download and maintain, but in the longer term will have other advantages.
>
>>    1.2) where would this profile need to be stored?
>
> On the facebook server presumably, in a database, or a filesystem...
> I suppose you mean what the URL should be? It could be
>
>  http://facebook.com/alice
>
> But really it could also be
>
>  http://facebook.com/alice/2xcvlslgdfs/1234l/sskdfhsdfjhsjflsjdfl
>
> if the WebID is
>
>  http://facebook.com/alice/2xcvlslgdfs/1234l/sskdfhsdfjhsjflsjdfl#someone

So am I right to say this is a "non information resource"?

This is since facebook dont use fragment identifiers, and there may be
a multi year lead time (if ever) before they do.

I guess one thing that I'm exploring is the "Test of Independent Invention" [1].

Can we use WebID together with an existing system social that doesnt
use the fragment identifiers.

If so, what's an elegant way to do so.

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Principles.html