Re: Invited Speakers: Topic # 4 of July 1 meeting agenda

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Christine Perey<cperey@perey.com> wrote:
> I would like to update the SWXG regarding the following invitations to speak
> on a future conf call (which I extended on behalf of the group) and the
>
> Please feel free to update invited speaker's wiki on this, if there is need
> to track these invites and replies for the future.
>

>        OSLO Agreement. I contacted Ronan Higgins and Andrew Scott about a
> month ago. Our invitation was declined. See Ronan's reply below my
> signature.

Well, DERI and SIOC participate via National University of Galway. If
OSLO doesn't realize that work like the geolocation API (whose editor
is from Google, who have some interest in the mobile and
location-sharing area) is happening at the W3C, that's fine [1]. To
quote this article [2]:

"Right now, OSLO has 10 founding members: Aka-Aki, Belysio,
Buddycloud, Locle, Moximity, Nulaz, Rummble, Skout, Tooio and WAYN.
The problem is that while combined they do have some 30 million users,
chances are you’ve probably never heard of most of them. But when a
company like Google launches its Latitude location service, it makes
headlines worldwide and gets a million people to sign up in just a
week. This is the kind of member OSLO needs to give its alliance
clout."

Perhaps you or DKA should send them a follow-up e-mail?

>        MOBILE Community services providers: I invited Sam Critchley (GyPSii)
> and Marcus Ladwig (Peperoni).
>            Have not yet heard from Sam. Marcus replied that he is not
> available and that their shifting company focus made the W3C work out of
> scope for them.
>
> I believe that without significantly more effort to pay attention to the
> needs of BUSINESSES, it is and will continue to be difficult to
> attract senior executives/thought leaders who are currently OPERATING
> commercial (set aside the matter of if they are successful or not) community
> services to speak to this group.

Please notice that the composition of the XG, which you can look at
[3], is about one-third private sector businesses, one-third
academics, and one-third non-profits or independent hackers. That, to
me, is a pretty good mix.

I'd like to see more mobile community operators involved, but as an
essentially voluntary group, we can't make anyone join or participate.
If they can phrase what their needs are, it would be great to talk.
Maybe just check back in after a few months?

[1]http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source.html
[2]http://digital.venturebeat.com/2009/02/23/oslo-alliance-wants-to-share-location-across-networks/
[3]http://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=43434