Re: Library data is expressed primarily as text strings

Very interesting debate indeed.

I am not sure I have followed all the developments, but here it seems to me that the problem is the "text string" per sé. A URI (in its abstract syntax) is in fact a text string, and so is an ISBN. The difference between a URI and any other type of string is that a URI has a meaning associated to it, and this meaning allows an agent (for instance a piece of software), who knows there is a URI in a certain place, to do something with the URI (whether display it nicely or dereference it and get back a representation). So, a text string is fine, as long as the string conforms to a syntax with an associated semantics.

Carlo

On Sep 5, 2011, at 11:46 PM, Tom Baker wrote:

>>> This pulls the two points together into one coherent point
>>> quite efficiently.  Nicely done!
>>>
>>> One minor stylistic suggestion:
>>>
>>>    s/especially, changes/in particular, that changes/
>>
>> This reminds me too much of not elegant French constructions, I could not have thought of that :-)
>> But if you think that's alright, feel free to implement it!
>
> DONE [1]...
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Draft_issues_page_take2&diff=6213&oldid=6212

Carlo Meghini
Istituto di Scienza e Tecnologie della Informazione [ ISTI ]
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche [ CNR ]
Via G. Moruzzi, 1 - 56124 Pisa - Italy
Tel: +39 050 3152893       E-Mail: Carlo.Meghini@isti.cnr.it
Fax: +39 050 3153464       Web: nmis.isti.cnr.it/meghini/