Re: why distinguish between simple and complex types? (issue 11)

Jack, please see my response below.

public-ws-semann-request@w3.org wrote on 06/05/2006 01:54:46 PM:

> Hi all,
>
> below is an excerpt from Rama's analysis of the relation of
> modelReference and schemaMapping. The quoted part restricts
> modelReferences to be allowed only on schema leaf elements.
>
> On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 13:40 -0400, Rama Akkiraju wrote:
> > Definition of Simple modelReference:
> > ModelReferences that point to a single concept in the ontology via
> > one-to-one association. Simple modelReferences are specified at the
level
> > of individual (leaf) elements in an XSD.

> Rama, I wonder why you have the restriction?
>
> Using the common structured name example, one could have something like
> this:
>
> <element name="Name" sawsdl:modelReference="ontology#name">
>   <sequence>
>     <element name="Title" sawsdl:modelReference="ontology#title"/>
>     <element name="First" sawsdl:modelReference="ontology#firstName"/>
>     <element name="Last" sawsdl:modelReference="ontology#familyName"/>
>   </sequence>
> </element>
>
> Basically, there is a trivial one-to-one correspondence between the
> element Name and the ontology class "name". Do you think that expressing
> this correspondence with modelReference may be harmful?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jacek

I think with this example, you are saying that we should be able to define
modelReferences on complex types that are not necessarily schema mappings.
I think that's fine. We can refine the definition accordingly. What I was
trying to avoid with that definition was to specify a schema mapping on a
complex type and then also specify modelReferences on individual leaf node
elements and end up in a situation where they could conflict with each
other and then we have to specify priority rules. But the example here is a
genuine case where a complex type could have a simple modelReference.
WSDL-S supported this. I just missed it in the definition. Thanks for
pointing it out.

Regards
Rama Akkiraju