why distinguish between simple and complex types? (issue 11)

From: Jacek Kopecky <jacek.kopecky@deri.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 19:54:46 +0200
To: Rama Akkiraju <akkiraju@us.ibm.com>
Cc: SAWSDL public list <public-ws-semann@w3.org>

Hi all,

below is an excerpt from Rama's analysis of the relation of
modelReference and schemaMapping. The quoted part restricts
modelReferences to be allowed only on schema leaf elements.

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 13:40 -0400, Rama Akkiraju wrote:
> Definition of Simple modelReference:
> ModelReferences that point to a single concept in the ontology via
> one-to-one association. Simple modelReferences are specified at the level
> of individual (leaf) elements in an XSD.

Rama, I wonder why you have the restriction?

Using the common structured name example, one could have something like
this:

<element name="Name" sawsdl:modelReference="ontology#name">
  <sequence>
    <element name="Title" sawsdl:modelReference="ontology#title"/>
    <element name="First" sawsdl:modelReference="ontology#firstName"/>
    <element name="Last" sawsdl:modelReference="ontology#familyName"/>
  </sequence>
</element>

Basically, there is a trivial one-to-one correspondence between the
element Name and the ontology class "name". Do you think that expressing
this correspondence with modelReference may be harmful?

Best regards,

Jacek