Re: NEW ISSUE: Dependencies with other groups

David,

Identifying the dependancies of a WG is generally done through its
charter and optionally a requirements document, along with
co-ordination with other Working Groups.

Our charter does not identify any specific dependancies, and does not
list a requirements document among our deliverables. As part of our
Last Call preparation, I circulated a list of Working Groups from whom
we would seek review, and have co-ordinated a review schedule with
their Chairs. No other group, to date, has informed us of a dependancy.

As such, our dependancies have been identified. Last Call is an
opportunity for other groups to examine the drafts to see if they
satisfy both stated and unstated dependancies; gathering requirements
(which is effectively what your suggestion implies) at this point would
be counter-productive.

If there are other groups whose review you believe would be beneficial,
please forward the Last Call announcement to them.

A separate issue is whether the Working Group believes that they have
been satisfied, and Members will have the opportunity to say so during
our Last Call discussions (and ultimately through voting).

Because of this, and because you do not make a concrete proposal, but
rather suggest a course of action, I am not adding this to the Issues
List.

Regards,

On Mar 24, 2005, at 2:02 PM, David Hull wrote:

> Title: Dependencies with other groups

> which dependencies with other groups the Working Group believes it has
> satisfied, and report which dependencies have not been satisfied."
> There are a number of working groups which depend on or may depend on
> WSA, including WSDL, XMLP and the Async task force within W3C, as well
> as WSN, WSE, WSRM, WS-Transfer, WS-Enumeration and possibly others
> outside W3C which are known to rely on WSA.
>
> In order to indicate which dependencies we believe we have and have
> not satisfied, we need a list of known dependencies, characterized by
> what part of the spec is involved, and how.
>
> Justification:
> http://www.w3.org/2004/02/Process-20040205/tr.html#last-call
>
> While not strictly necessary, an account of dependencies from
> specifications outside W3C would provide a valuable sanity check of
> the general utility of WSA, given the position of WSA as a fundamental
> building block.
>
> Target: core, SOAP
>
> Proposal: Produce a list of known dependencies with other
> specifications, including information as to the nature of the
> dependency and which parts of WSA are involved (e.g., EPRs, MAPs, SOAP
> addressing module. etc.).

Office of the CTO   BEA Systems