Re: TIBCO objects to last call

Jonathan Marsh wrote:

>I request that we have the opportunity to vote to go to Last Call on Monday.
>
>I recognized David's point of view as a legitimate design option for WS-Addressing, but don't see that the existence of another viewpoint invalidates the utility of the current point of view that WS-Addressing has.

First, as I hope I've made clear, my concerns about last call go beyond
the resolution of any particular issue.  Among other things, I'm also
concerned as to whether we have a clear picture of our relationships
with other specs, particularly other W3 specs.  Not only is this an
entry requirement for LC, it would also help to clarify the trade-offs
to be made in the specs themselves.

Second, my understanding of the W3 process is that it's better to have a
solution that everyone can live with, even if they don't like it or see
it as an absolute necessity, than one with strong objections, even if
only from a few parties.  In the case of i054, TIBCO has stated that we
cannot live with the current treatment of endpoints.  There are two
major alternatives we /can/ live with: remove the reply and fault
endpoints from the core description of MAPs and rely on existing SOAP
extensibility, or make the MAPs themselves explicitly extensible as per
any of several proposals.

In our vote last Monday, we as a group put forth two particular
proposals for the second alternative against two for annotating the
status quo semantics.  I don't believe we asked our usual question of
who could /live with/ either of the extensibility proposals, and I don't
believe we took even an informal vote on who could live with removing
fault and reply from the core.  I know that many people believe they do
no harm there, but that's a different question.  I believe that before
we declare an impasse and go to LC with formal objections imminent, we
need to make very sure that there is no other alternative that the group
as a whole can live with.  In particular, if you can live with any of
the various alternatives concerning extensibility, that's important new
information.  If the chair wishes, and possibly with the chair's
assistance, I would be glad to draft this as a more formal proposal.

I want to be very clear here that I don't see the sort of revisiting of
a formally closed issue that I'm proposing as a license to lie down in
the road any time a result  proves unsatisfying.  I have tried and will
continue to try to be sparing in voting no to "can we live with this?".
I would liken our objection to LC with pulling the emergency brake
handle on a moving train.  It's not something done lightly (indeed, this
is the main reason the objection did not appear until Wednesday), and
it's sure to incur the displeasure of one's fellow passengers.  I'll
repeat that we at TIBCO are just as keen to get the train moving again
and get to our ultimate destination as anyone else.