Re: Modern Tribe & W3C Website Redesign!

Hi Michael,

I became aware of your e-mails just now. I apologize I couldn’t respond earlier; other things have kept me busy since Friday.

Are you aware that we published a FAQ last Friday?
  https://www.w3.org/2019/11/website-redesign-rfp.html#faq

I believe a number of your questions are covered already.

Here’s to fill some of the gap:

● 2.1 Why Are We Doing This: ​When you reference the website as, “NOT being a primary driver of sales,”
○ Is this a statement, or a problem you’re looking to remedy with the redesign project?

-> A statement. We meant to clarify early that we were not looking to develop an e-commerce site. However, we have an interest in making crowdfunding a part of what can be done on our website. The current website makes it hard to.

● 3.3 Key Audiences & Benefits:
○ Will we have access to sets of the audiences you’ve outlined in this section? Including them in our process will help us best understand how we can achieve their goals.

-> We probably will be able to encourage some individuals in these audience to volunteer time.

● 4.1 Phases:​ The design chosen for Phase I needs to look at the rest of the site, so we don’t run any risk that Phase I will not scale well to cover the expectations for the rest of the site.
○ Are we keeping some consistency between old and new design as we work through the different phases?

-> I don’t know. Not necessarily. I wouldn’t want the design that is developed in phase 1 to be constrained by the 2008 design. Informed, yes.

●  4.1 Phases: V​ertical industries landing pages.
○  Are you referring to the pages on the homepage of W3.ORG under the header “Web and Industry”?
○  Could you provide more clarity around the deliverables for this part of scope?

-> Yes. This is basically redesigning those pages, if they ought to be part of the phase 1 overhaul, as determined by the discovery phase in information architecture.

●  4.1 Phases: P​ublic Work Groups homepages (ala IETF data tracker).
○ Are you referring to homepages for each Group found in a list on this page https://www.w3.org/Consortium/activities​ that includes Accessibility Guidelines, Audio, Automotive, Publishing... etc.,

-> Yes and no. In phase 1, we want to “create” a category of pages called public work group homepages. We’d have as many as we have work groups and they’d ideally be automatically populated using the W3C API. They would represent a layer between <https://www.w3.org/Consortium/activities​> and the various individual web spaces that the work groups maintain themselves. In a future phase, I’d like that category of pages to subsume the latter.

● 4.1 Phases:​ We noticed you have multiple regions accessible from the main page. Ex, Austria, Australia, Spain.
○ Are all of those regions in-scope for this project?

-> Maybe. We would like the ability to make available a subset of our Website in a given language, as opposed to relying currently on websites owned and maintained separately.

●  4.3 Services; Design: A​ dopt, or define & draft a website governance document / project specification / design system.
○ Are you using any governance tool for accessibility and compliance today, like SiteImprove?

-> No.

●  4.3 Services; Development:​ M​ ultilingual site, language negotiation (e.g., Accept-Language header in combination with page links to alternate languages, and 'sticky' content negotiation techniques)
○  How are you currently translating the website?
○  Is it done manually?

●  4.3 Services; Development: C​ontent migration
[…]
-> The W3C Systems team will perform content migration. We may need advice/consulting, however.

Coralie

--
Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Marketing & Communications -  https://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@w3.org +337 810 795 22 https://www.w3.org/People/Coralie/