Re: Moving forward with SDP control

From: Roman Shpount <roman@telurix.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 19:25:44 -0400
To: Peter Thatcher <pthatcher@google.com>
Cc: Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net>, Kiran Kumar <g.kiranreddy4u@gmail.com>, Jesús Leganés Combarro <piranna@gmail.com>, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org>, Likepeng <likepeng@huawei.com>, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@iii.ca>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>, "Matthew Kaufman (SKYPE)" <matthew.kaufman@skype.net>
On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Peter Thatcher <pthatcher@google.com>wrote:

> I'm curious:  As a web developer, if 2.0 were a great API that allowed you
> to never touch SDP, would it matter to you if it were backward compatible
> with 1.0?  How would that negatively impact you?

The issue here is no SDP. It is offer/answer. If I still need to go through
offer/answer state machine to control things, then it affects me
negatively. If we have two parallel APIs, one with SDP and offer/answer and
one without then I would be fine. The other issue would be the amount of
effort that maintaining 1.0 API with offer/answer would take for web
browser developers. If this will take priority over 2.0 we would all lose.
Roman Shpount