Re: Moving forward with SDP control

On 20/07/2013 6:25 PM, Peter Thatcher wrote:
> > so I'm afraid of getting a unusable 1.0, and later a
>
> > backward compatible 2.0 (wo SDP O/A forever and ever).
>
> I'm curious:  As a web developer, if 2.0 were a great API that allowed
> you to never touch SDP, would it matter to you if it were backward
> compatible with 1.0?  How would that negatively impact you?

     Don't fool yourself for a moment thinking that you will be allowed
to drop backwards compatibility in WebRTC 2.0.

 1. Most web developers hate 1.0 in its current form, but they will roll
    out applications on top of it out of necessity. When 2.0 comes out,
    they will demand backwards compatibility because their applications
    will need to support older browsers with WebRTC 1.0 and newer ones
    with WebRTC 2.0.
 2. Even if web developers don't demand backwards compatibility, you can
    be sure that telecoms will.

     If you allow 1.0 to ship in its current form, you will be stuck
with its poor design decisions for life.

Gili