Echo cancellation

Le jeudi 08 décembre 2011 à 11:41 +0100, Dominique Hazael-Massieux a
écrit :
> * echo cancellation (F9) was specifically discussed during the F2F; the
> current requirement asks whether this is something that needs to be
> dealt only at the browser level, or also at the Web app level. If the
> latter came out to be needed as well, then that would raise the need for
> the Audio API. I'll start a new thread on that topic.

So, the current requirement documents leaves the question open as to
whether the Web application needs to have control over echo
cancellation.
   F9              When there are both incoming and outgoing audio
                   streams, echo cancellation MUST be made available to
                   avoid disturbing echo during conversation.

                   QUESTION: How much control should be left to the
                   web application?

Reading through the use cases, none of them seems to suggest a case
where the Web app needs to have specific control on echo cancellation.
Can anyone think of a reason why it should? Shouldn't this be something
that "just" happens whenever audio streams are exchanged? or should it
only happen for some audio streams?

I'm not clear if there is anything that we need from the Audio WG on
this bit, if it is all to be handled on the browser side. We may need to
have a flag on audio tracks to enable/disable echo cancellation (if
there are indeed use cases for that), but I don't think we should expect
each Web app to manually use the audio API to do echo cancellation.

Thoughts?

Dom