RE: Promoting Web/W3C Anniversary Symposium?

I am happy to have WPD host this on the site, wherever our designer gurus find fit, especially as the event will be streamed for all interested parties to see.

Eliot

From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds [mailto:amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:59 PM
To: Doug Schepers
Cc: WebPlatform Community
Subject: Re: Promoting Web/W3C Anniversary Symposium?

At a minimum, we could certainly replace the existing W3C logo in the stewards section (footer of every page) with the special 20th anniversary logo for a few months or a year, whatever they prefer.

However, I suspect the W3 Communications team was hoping for greater prominence than a footer link.

If the community is okay with a prominent logo, my vote for where to put it is in the top nav bar, floated right.  I've attached screenshots of that in widescreen and mobile view, and also the footer option with the coloured logo adding a bit of prominence compared to the gray logos for all the others.

The extra markup and styles I added for the header link are:

<li style="
    float: right;
"><a href="http://www.w3.org/20/" title="W3C 20th Anniversary Site" style="
    background: url(http://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c20/w3c20-logo.svg) no-repeat center;
    background: url(http://www.w3.org/Icons/w3c20/w3c20-logo.svg) no-repeat center,
                       radial-gradient(closest-side, rgba(230,230,230,0.7) 50%, transparent);
    width: 4.5em;
    height: 1.5em;
    display: block;

That code is inserted as the first element of ul.links in div.container in nav#sitenav in the mockups.  It would of course be preferable to have it last in the list of nav options, but that would require additional CSS finessing to get the mobile layout to look nice.

Amelia BR