Re: Chat logs, and the need for talk subdomain

> I'm trying to find spots in our setup that could be simplified. Since the
> talk subdomain is now serving only two static pages, I was wondering if we
> really wanted to keep it.
> I think its time to see if we really need it.
>   - http://talk.webplatform.org/chat/
>         - http://talk.webplatform.org/

I would like to get rid of the two pages at talk.webplatform.org and
talk.webplatform.org/chat. When I went through all the content in planing
the home page, I discovered that the content on those two pages is 1)
completely redundant with content in other places, and 2) not in sync since
duplicate content in two places leads to one or the other being out of
date.

I definitely advise we remove the top-level link in the main nav,
"discussion". I have removed it in the new nav on the new home page.
There's not enough content behind the link to justify it being a top level
item, and it duplicates the message/information we want to provide under a
Join Us / Participate section.

So I say let's simplify and get rid of talk.webplatform.org.

If we want a place to store chat logs and meeting notes, it doesn't need to
be on a subdomain. Those could just go at webplatform.org/chat, etc. if
they can't be put inside the WikiMedia system.

Jen

Jen Simmons
designer, consultant and speaker
host of The Web Ahead